Providing Telehealth Options
You’ve probably heard a great deal about telehealth since 2020. Many medical professionals and psychologists had to make changes regarding how we offer our services. However, telehealth allowed us to provide more accessibility and a way to see your providers from the comfort and safety of your home.
What is Telehealth?
In the psychology field, Telehealth is also known as telepsych, telepsychology, telemental health, and teletherapy. Telehealth allows us to provide care and services primarily via online platforms without an in-person session. When someone offers Telehealth services, they refer to communication via an internet connection, such as online visits, also known as virtual visits.
Telehealth offers several options:
- 1:1 real-time, online sessions: Speaking with your doctor live, in real-time, over a secure video
- 1:1 real-time, phone sessions: Speaking with your doctor live, in real-time, over the phone
- Messaging: sending and receiving messages using secure methods of messaging, email, and secure file exchange.
Benefits of Telehealth
It is not surprising that virtual visits are continuing to grow in popularity due to their convenience and added benefits, including:
- Reducing everyone’s exposure to COVID-19
- Attending sessions wherever you are currently at home or even in your parked car after leaving a store.
- Reducing time off from work, travel time, time to get ready, etc.
- Being able to access professionals who are far from your residence.
If you haven’t done teletherapy before, it’s normal to feel a bit awkward initially when speaking to someone via video chat. However, experience shows that most people will become very comfortable with the process, and some may prefer it to in-person sessions.
Although telepsychology may have the disadvantage of not being in the same physical room, telepsychology may also enhance feelings of security, safety, and privacy.
Evidence for Teletherapy Effectiveness
Research shows substantial evidence regarding the effectiveness of telepsychology. Moreover, research shows high client satisfaction amongst clients and professionals. Telepsychology is equivalent to in-person care regarding treatment, quality of care, diagnostic accuracy, and client satisfaction. Confidentiality and patient privacy are also equal to in-person care. Please see some of the research HERE.
Schedule your appointment today!